Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bet'Alef: Meditative Synagogue (Bellevue) - High Holy Days - Rosh Hashanah: Entering a New Year, September 8th 2010

           What happens when Buddhist and Taoist philosophy meet Judaism? The answer: You get Bet'Alef Synagogue. I have so many memories in this place, good ones at that. My adoptive family the Bonyhadi's attend here, and I had visited here prior with YES and IVY.

      I will be attending in High Holy Day Services with my adoptive family the Bonyhadi's. I missed them much during my China trip and it was glorious to catch up with how all of them are doing and connect on topics of life, the universe and everything. 

         On the way to Synagogue I learned about the Hierarchy Judaism, which is really a lack of Hierarchy. Each Synagogue is independent. Rabbis have unions but there are no Higher Rabbis. I like this a lot about Judaism. I also learned about most of the cons with Judaism lie with Orthodox and Conservative Judaism. Where there are no female rabbis and Leviticus is law...so gay marriage is definite no for these groups. Women are also placed in a traditional role as well, which is why I support reform and Hasidic Judaism where power is equal between the sexes.

    Today is the day before new year. Rosh Hashanah, when people confess their sins and die to themselves. This dying to oneself was the theme. "Accept yourselves as you are." The Rabbi said. Which was having all expectations we attach to others perception of us - die. Releasing attachments was the theme, to awaken the God part of ourselves, the light of Enlightenment. It was a beautiful service. At the core, it was learning act of forgiving oneself, so that one can forgive others and truly live love and compassion. Service was about discovering God within ourselves.

   One thing I have always loved about Bet'Alef is the music, and today was no disappointment. There music seemed to touch the very humanity of all present. There was anger, sadness, joy, sorrow, peace, anxiety and all other emotions that each piece spoke when it was sung.

     I would have visions during some of the songs, which would play into the theme of Rosh Hashanah Day service the next day. 

    Before service ended that night we would meditate. It was amazing to get in touch with how my body was feeling and the constant stream of thoughts and images in my mind. While I sat in the silence I was able to discover balance again. True meditation, like true prayer...really does calm the mind.   

     After service there was the blessing on the Challah and wine. I stayed with the Bonyhadis when I wasn't off observing and taking it all in. I found when meeting new people, I didn't quite know what to say. So I ended up enjoying the peace of the company of all who attended.

        







No comments:

Post a Comment