Friday, March 4, 2011

Islamic Center of Olympia - Olympia, WA - March 4th, 2011

        Many of you may be wondering why it has taken me this long to write a post on Islam. The reason for this was the difficulty of me reaching an Islamic Center in the times I've been in Olympia and around University of Washington. In both instances I got lost trying to find the Islamic Centers of both areas. Well, I'm happy to say that I've finally been able to do the visit after years of not visiting an Islamic community.

       After two times of attempting to meet up with the Interfaith Coordinator of the Islamic Center of Olympia for a ride, I finally was able to meet up and get a ride there.

       What are my thoughts on Islam? I think some of the evil that attributed to Islam is in some cases valid (homosexuality is viewed as a sin and in the Quran, like the Old Testament...punishment is death), women cannot lead prayers where both sexes are present, separation of the sexes (this is a huge issue with me in regards to Orthodox Judaism, and other conservative religions as well). But on issues of groups like Al Qaeda and people who do honor killings. The honor killings are a tribal custom that needs to be changed, and groups like Al Qaeda are like the NRA, using religion as an excuse to commit nonreligious acts (Though my issues with Kings and the Bible still apply to the Quran, God ordering the killing of sacred life (or punishing it to Hell). I don't see how that can be good in any instance. 

     In my visit though I overwhelmingly experienced the good, and got to talk about some of the bad afterword...which I will get to farther into the blog. We arrived when the afternoon call to prayer was taking place and hurried. Shoes were left outside and we entered into the room where all the other men were. The Iman was up front leading the call to prayer and then began preaching about Time. He preached about how God created time and how it is a gift and precious to us and that we must make the most of it by living with righteousness and virtue. This made sense to me and is one of the parts of the Quran (like Jesus's Golden Rule, actions to the poor, and many psalms) that transcend the era it was written and can apply to any time.

    I joined in the end of the prayer and felt the connection that I'd forgotten that always came with the full body bowing. This act of submission and vulnerability is such a powerful act. It would be the ultimate act of one person honoring another if they both bowed this way, or an act of veneration simply in the way the body speaks. This is one thing I have always found beautiful and good about Islam. The goal of Islam is to live that prayer in everything (with Quran as guide), just as the goal for a Christian is to live like Jesus with the New Testament as a guide.

     After prayer I talked to the people. There was a man whose family lives in a small town in Libya. It was wonderful to know they were safe, and one of the leaders of the Mosque is living in Tripoli now and has snipers on his roof as Gadaffi is preparing for war...I talked to one of the Board Members, the Interfaith Coordinator and another man named after Solomon. The Interfaith coordinator is hoping it can be resolved peacefully, but Solomon had given up hope due to Gaddafi's paranoia and evil actions.

     After I got a tour of the building that is under construction that will be the new place of worship. The shell is complete but due to funding it still has ways to go till it's finishing internally. I found out the Lacey and Olympia community has been very accepting of the Islamic Center and this made me glad after the Oarnge County crap, the protesting of the Islamic Community Center in New York City, the areas in the central United States that have come out against the building of Islamic Center's of worship in their state...(which is sad considering their Christianity is very similar in values to what they seem to be so afraid of). I am grateful Olympia and Lacey have generally not acted this way.

      Then we went out to Coffee (the Board member, Interfaith Coordinator and I). I brought up the things I see as evil based on how I have seen them practiced abroad (the execution of gays in Muslim nations, not having ever seen a women lead worship or preach (I found out their are women scholars of Islam though...so who knows, maybe their will be female Imam's leading worship someday, right now the issue is a scale the least and horny of people not having a distraction so they can submit to God, and the belief in men and women together would be a distraction to both sexes), in the conversation I had with the Interfaith Coordinator in the car he mentioned Muslims have not done as much as they could to abolish the negative stereotypes, and also people needing to come without preconceived notions and wishing to learn as well (both of which I agree with based off experience).

    We then talked about Satan...as in all cases that a figure such as this is brought up. I think the possibility of malevolent and benevolent spirits exist...I just don't see it as likely. I see human's doing so much more good and evil without any outside forces being attributed to actions. The reason I was given for why he exists is to test us. The pattern with Christianity over free will in regards to Satan in God seems to be, as I understand it now.

   God is the ultimate good, making people who are just good is not good, therefore choice must exist in order to choose the good, so it is truly the good. Evil is chosen just as good is chosen. This still doesn't quite make sense to me if all God wants is submission or worship (and all creation in submission and worship), so I still don't buy this explanation completely. I've seen fear of Satan lead to more evil acts (persecution of gays, fear of sexuality, avoidance of responsibility) to have trouble seeing it as being Satan or some spirit being responsible. Though the same applies to the good as well...I consider myself a Thiest but when it comes to peoples actions, it depends on the people. I've seen virtious believers and non-believers of all faiths, and evil committed by believers and non-believers in the name of (Enter Idea Here). So the exploration continues.

     The conversations and the act of prayer were the most rewarding part of the visit and I believe in the awareness that comes from these two acts that real change can be brought about in the world. A prayer can be anything from reflecting to good action or prayer to good action, the key is the good action. This is one thing I myself shall continue to grow and seek to better myself in, for I can always do better in living the good, as can we all.




No comments:

Post a Comment