Thursday, February 2, 2012

Linggue Temple Visit, Baoying, China

s been a long time since I've visited a Chinese Buddhist Temple, an entire year actually (last time it was in Hangzhou when I was studying abroad). There three things that stood out in my visit yesterday.

First was how incredibly peaceful it was...outside was the bustle of shopping, people going to the doctor and countless other things they had to do in their lives. I felt at peace at Linggue Temple, more so than I've felt anywhere else in China since teaching. The Temple truly is a beautiful place. There are the golden statues (Which will be a part of the next post), open squares, halls where monks are chanting, and an area where incense is burned to honor the dead. It allows community while slowing everything down. It's easy to be present in the moment and find peace and balance.

The second part was how parts of it reminded me of the Nanjing Confucius Temple I went to. There was a tree with red ribbons tied on it for wealth, prosperity and luck, there was the bell that could be rung for luck (without a cost attached unlike the Confucius Temple) and a store that I think supports the temples ability to run. I used to be abhorred to this idea...for example the amount of shops in the Vatican and the large showiness was a turn from me from religion. Now I would say it is less so...it matters whether the money is being towards good and if it is supporting the livelihood of those who live simply and up-keeping the sanctuary of the Temple or Cathedral...I say that's a good cause. If it's ever used to cover up or not used for betterment...then I take issue.

On the subject of the first part of the second paragraph. Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism really are a source of solidness for many of the people who believe in these traditional faiths. The philosophies in many instances are forgotten (except by the monks and scholars), but in it's place is a focus on the people and looking for one another...giving a place for a person to feel safe and honor what they've lost...or to celebrate a marriage or birth. The philosophies can sometimes get so isolating or to universal that they lose sight of the communities or lead to isolation and non-human interaction. Like the Yogi's in the mountains or monks who never leave the monastery.

If you achieve enlightenment and forget the world, did you really achieve it? (How can one live virtue without interacting with others?).


Now, can it's up to me to try to find that balance I found in the Temple always and to live by goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment