Friday, September 7, 2012

The Inevitability of Change - Saint Aloysius Church - Spokane, WA - September 3rd, 2012


     This is going to be a blog that is a little bit different. St. Aloysius was not having a service when I visited the Church...but by visiting it I still got to experience it's significance in the conversations I had with my friends during the visit and after leaving. 

    First, I am going to mention why I was in Spokane because of the close friends who live there who went and go to my College. My friend and I are graduates from the college that they attend and before he goes across the country for an internship we saw it as a last get together for the four of us to do. Suffice to say it was amazing. The experience of getting together with old friends is a difficult thing to describe, but whenever it happens it brings some of the best memories. 

     We were visiting Gonzaga University because one of my friends who lives in Spokane taught a class there and also went to the prep school there too. He was showing us around the campus and with it came the stories. 

    One of the major services that Churches do is bring community together. At private religious schools this is most obvious, but even outside of religious schools church can play a big role. Whether it is hosting community events or recognizing accomplishments within the community it serves, while at the same time providing a service...the community aspect that Churches and specifically St. Aloysius accomplish can not be understated. 

       During our time in the Church I lit a candle for those who have died and recalled how the Temple's in China served a similar purpose. Whether it was weddings, funerals, births or deaths...the Church offered a place to remember and to honor in a small way those who have passed. 

    Change, the very existence of life is a monument to the inevitability of it. Matter is always changing, we are always changing, even if parts of our base personality stay mostly constant. It's this change that gives me hope about the future. 

    Change does happen in institution and always is. No organization is static. No person is static. It's in this very neutral truth that I realize possibility, and with that, how our power is greater than we know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment