Sunday, February 2, 2014

Lunar New Years Part 1 - Zhenlan Temple - Dajia, Taiwan - February 2nd, 2014

       I think I like Temples and other religious places best when it is quiet enough to enjoy the silence. Due it being Lunar New Years and Zhenlan Temple being one of the main places for people to go to see Mazu (the Goddess of sailors, luck and fortune) it was not the case today. The Temple is large and beautiful but because of all the people it was really hard to take in.

   I came with a friend who didn't want to deal with the crowds, which I think was a wise decision. It felt like St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican where there was a constant stream of people and no time to fully take in anything. The noise and strong smells of incense didn't help.

   I do plan on returning here though, when it is left crowded. From what little time I was able to spend inside the Temple I can see why people come. There is so much history here and the Temple is one of the central points in Dajia making it not only a religious center but a cultural center too.
     Luckily the next stop in my journey around Dajia (and getting lost) I found the Dajia Wunchang Shrine (and a few smaller shrines I didn't end up visiting today) as well as a church that was closed (all locations which I plan on visiting later) which made for a very great end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment