Friday, April 4, 2014

Conversation with Pastor Peter - Salt Lake City, UT - April 2nd, 2014

   One of the greatest joys of this blog is making new connections with people and out of it new friendships. Wednesday morning was the chance when I got to build a friendship with Pastor Peter, the Reform Pastor at Mountain Springs Community Church.

    Before I went to work on Wednesday we met for Breakfast at the cafe nearby. It was there we talked about the Reformed Tradition (which I learned comes from the same branch of Christianity as Presbyterianism and also the Church of Christ). As well as social justice and our connection and responsibility to one another. 

    We also discussed the diversity of beliefs within my generation and the approach to religion that I've noticed in my traveling (of younger people becoming agnostic, embracing liberal faith or becoming more conservative (Mars Hill and similar Evangelical Traditions). 

   In the discussion there was the similarity of how meditation and prayer have helped in regards to finding balance in the trials in life and the importance of a community being welcome. I told him how for me if my friends (LGBTQ and others) are not respected for who they are at a Church, I won't return that church...that my friends have to feel safe and welcome for me to build a relationship with a community.

      Along with the important things like community, justice, responsibility and family there was the lightness of discussing comedy movies too. 

     It was a great discussion and I look forward to doing so again and other events in my time here in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment