Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Second Tuesday of Lent Memorial Mass - Cathedral of the Madeleine - Salt Lake City, UT - March 18th, 2014


        My turning up at the Cathedral of Madeleine was not planned. I'd originally only planned to explore around Temple Street, but soon found that the time I arrived at the Cathedral was right when Mass was supposed to start. Little did I know that I would be attending a memorial mass.

     One thing I noticed on the way is that the Catholic Diocese headquarters in Utah are right next to the Cathedral, as well as the Samaritan society. Like the other Catholic Churches I visited they like the Episocopals are active helping and feeding the homeless in their areas and Salt Lake City. 

    The mass this time was quite and reflective. There was no music and everything was said or chanted. On one side of the isle were family members of the departed, and on the other side visitors. I realized it was a memorial mass when the prayers were being said before communion. One of the prayers expressed, "To honor this individual with this Mass."

     Like any memorial, there was that quite sadness and passion...one had only to pay attention to see where people were in their thoughts. It was during this time that as a stranger, the most I could give was my silence and honoring the person in the mass.

    After communion a few of the people stayed after to reflect in the silence. As I made my way out I thought of the person who had touched the lives present here today and their relationship to this place and congregation.





No comments:

Post a Comment