Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday of the First Week of Lent Mass - Cathedral of the Madeleine - Salt Lake City, UT - March 11th, 2014

       My experience at the Cathedral of the Madeleine was troubling in some of the best and worst ways possible...it kind of encapsulated everything I like and dislike about religion which made of a fascinating experience. For a bit of context there is currently a Western Conference on Canon Law being hosted in Salt Lake City so there were tons of Priests and Bishops at the Cathedral...most were from the west coast but one had come over from Lebanon. Because of this there was almost a conference and concert feel about it at the beginning, mostly because the Bishop who looked like Richard Dawkins thanked people at the beginning and the end, and pointed out how great the music was. This was one of the things that took me out, it made something that was supposed to be transcendent and greater than self like any other public event where there are a lot of important people present. 

      To the Bishops credit though, his sermon was wonderful, and the reading was the one where Jesus first tells his followers to say the Lord's Prayer. This prayer is a call that our words don't matter that God already knows everything anyway, so it is about how we choose to live...what we do with the time that given to us. This sermon nailed the theme of service and sacrifice of Lent and was great.

      The sad thing was during the service people were taking pictures...yep, it strikes me as the kind of thing you don't do...I mean a Church service is supposed to be more important than a concert or a movie right? Folks were taking a picture of him during the service. I took pictures, but I waited to before and after...if I were up there speaking I wouldn't what lights blinking in my face or people taking pictures of the place I'm preaching...isn't the content of the words more important than the beauty of the place?

     For positives that brought me into it...the music...the choir was angelic, and that would not be an understatement. They were all ages and all the songs were sung in latin, giving it an even greater feeling to it. The psalms also were beautifully sung and focused on important things like justice.

      The most important thing that took me out of it were two things - one was how people aren't welcome to camp outside the Church (there are a fair amount of homeless in Salt Lake City) and the other was the homeless man behind me. Here was where he'd come for rest and to be safe...I hope when he eventually got kicked out that he had somewhere to go...the church provided a place for him during the service and with the Samaritan Society next store...but the church itself was not a permanent sanctuary. Shouldn't a house of God be that? What can we do to help? What can I do to serve?

No comments:

Post a Comment