Friday, October 22, 2010

Evergreen Hillel (Evergreen State College, Olympia) - Shabbatluck - October 22nd 2010

      What is Shabbat? Shabbat is the seventh day of the jewish week and the day of rest in Judaism. Ah, Shabbat, I have so many memories on this day. Days with my adopted family celebrating each others existence. I remember celebrating Shabbat after service at Bet'Alef Synagogue and I remember the first of week school this year celebrating my first Shabbatluck with Evergreen Hillel.

   Shabbat really is a time of community. The prayer that is said is gratitude for bread and wine and after those prayers it is interaction and getting to know people. Today getting to know people started earlier. I talked to one of the coordinators Ben for a while about the summer and then other people started arriving.  We all talked about past schools and Evergreen. It was awesome and I made more friends.

      Last Shabbatluck I felt disconnected after the prayers since there were to many people. Whenever there is a lot of noise and people my body gets fatigued. This Shabbatluck was small, so the fatigue didn't come.I was grateful for the delicious food, for the old friends present and for making new friends.

     Ben did the prayer on the candles and the bread. Then we all ate and talked about life and school. The food was delicious and the company was good. I didn't ask any questions about people's personal faith, and what their religion means to them, but I plan on doing so. Today was about one of the most important parts of religion, gratitude and the community.



No comments:

Post a Comment