Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pachamama Rock and Ceremony - Chinchero, Peru - August 18th, 2013

   

                                                                The Ceremony
      After the Sacred Valley we went to our guides hometown of Chinchero. Chinchero is about to go through some major changes. A US Company recently got the rites to build an International Airport there so this town where there are not many tourists is about to change drastically. There is definitely a lot of fear in relation to this considering the economy is largely agricultural and the land that the airport will be built on was once farmland that was bought from the farmers.

     It was in Chinchero where our guide and another one of the member's of his people did a Shaman Ceremony to the group.

     It was on altar that was made that I noticed the diversity of identity in Peru. There was a Peruvian Jesus, next to 3 Inca Gods as well as a Saint figure too and parts of animals. It reminded me of how the present and past are so easily connected together, and how it takes a lot to completely do away with the old ways, which means at least some traditions will always be around. Just as the ceremony we did has existed in one form or another even before the Incas.

     The Ceremony itself involved tobacco, being pressed and blown on the chest and head and a plant that was burned to add an incense. Incense tends to be a pretty common religious practice I realize now in hindsight.

     What the ceremony did, if anything was energize me. On the lead up to it I was still recovering from jet lag so was walking between wakefulness and sleep pretty deeply. The ceremony centered me since I think partially I didn't know what to expect.
 
                                                             Pachamama Rock
       After the ceremony I checked into members of the group before all of us headed to Pachamama Rock. On the journey there we passed an Inca Ruin where a Church had been built on top of it. When I returned to Cuzco I would see even more of this. Much of what were important Inca sites in cities now only exist as parts of a wall to a monastery or cathedral.

      First I should mention, Pachamama means Earth Mother.The rock is seen as holding the heartbeat of the world. Whether this is true or not, the cave in the center is really peaceful and I was able to meditate there for a while.

     On top of the rock I talked to family and did one last meditation, though I think I'm still very much learning how to do so...my mind at this point has not learned to completely settle into silence. There are always more thoughts to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment