Thursday, August 29, 2013

On the Condor - Pisac, Peru - August 17th, 2013

                                                        Burial Temples at Pisac

      After over 24 hours of travel, the last thing I expected was to experience Peru so soon. One of the guides picked me up at the airport and took me to meet the group in Cuzco (where we would not be staying because of a labor strike) and off we would head to Pisac.

     The group was all ages, ranging from late 50's all the way to my youngest sister at 16. All were connected to my Mom through family or work. As exhausted as I was, I was excited to begin the adventure. The first place on our list was Pisac.

    Pisac is a giant Mountain shaped like a condor, where at the head mummies were once buried. It's a burial ground the pre-dates the Incas. Around the Condor are buildings were the mummies were created and were ritual was done.
Area of the Burial Ground in Pisac, The Condor's Head

    I've always found cemeteries comforting (I'm weird like that). There is something to be said for knowing that you will eventually die, and to see the history of those who have come before you. Cemeteries are history. Depending on how old the cemeteries are (like the one that is Pisac) there can be family lines tracing back generations. There is beauty in a cemetery.

     It was here our guide talked about how the Condor represents our higher self and
letting go or killing the parts of ourselves we no longer need or that are holding us back. The Condor is a carrion bird so has always represented death and the afterlife to the Incas, or the Upper World. This place was also the Air Temple (later we would be going to the Temple of the other 3 Ele
ments). While here I meditated and imagined a Condor flying into my chest. It felt comforting...before I fell asleep. Over the last 2 days I had gotten a total of 6 hours of sleep. Thankfully the sleep helped and when I woke up I explored the site a lot more and talked to my oldest youngest sister about her experiences in Peru.

   Lastly a member in our group had created a bunch of Peruvian crosses that she brought to the site to be blessed. Standing there with the group I couldn't help but feel connected. I was standing on history and with
 with the group ready for the next leg of the adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment