Monday, January 20, 2014

Lotus Hase Kannon Temple - Waipu, Taiwan - January 20th, 2014

 
  The first visit of the blog in a new country and suffice to say the experiences that stand out were the ones leaving the Lotus Hase Kannon Temple (once called the Goddess of Mercy Temple) and the thoughts on the Temple afterword. The reasons behind this are tied to the reality of the day, my own biases in regards to Buddhism and the positive I think religion can bring in the right context.

     Today was a lot. Today I had my first of training at Mark's English, my team the Seattle Seahawks competing for the NFC championship to get to the Superbowl and my thoughts in general about where I am right now and the importance of all those who are a part of me...no matter how great or how small in relationship to me.

     When I went to the Lotus Hasse Kannon Temple, which is a Temple that is so close to my apartment I can walk there in under ten minutes...I was thinking about the day. So much of my heart in Seattle (and the surrounding area), it is the closest city I can call home. Here has been the new adventure and all the sadness, possibility and joy that comes with that. Going to the Lotus Temple was a chance to see the people and gave me a better appreciation of Mahayana Buddhism which is really about the community more so than Theravada Buddhism which is so focused on the individual. It tends to be in the Mahayana sects you find celebrations of marriage, Temple vendors whose livelihood is based around the Temple. I only went into the first Hall where the five Bodhisattvas were and noticed that relationship, which is something I don't give enough credit too given how much community a part of my life. I didn't see excess, just people attempting to live who were at the very lay practicioners of the Lotus Sutra tradition in Mahayana Buddhism (the sect that founded the Temple). 

   These realizations during the walk back and during and after Seattle Seahawks game were where the learning experience really happened. The good of community can only happen in practice and when we realize it when in practice. What are the ways that bind us together? That make us friends, family, community? These are things that I think religion can reveal at its best but at its worst (as seen in sports and politics too) when it devolves into brutal tribalism where all respect towards others is lost...

   That is the potential, and that's what I found today in my experience in teacher training, in the Temple visit and in my community celebrating the win of the Seahawks. Today was positive in so many ways, for today I got to experience just how close home is and the home others find. 





No comments:

Post a Comment