Sunday, January 5, 2014

Vietnamese Mass - Saint Joseph's Catholic Church - Salem, OR - January 5th, 2014

      This was the first time since my graduation trip to Italy that I have been to a service in another language. In both instances there things that stood out, and pros and cons in the experience like any religious service. Suffice to say, I'm glad I came with my girlfriend who understands at least some Vietnamese and was able to translate some of it for me. Also, the fact that it was a Catholic Mass meant that the Mass schedule of events was the same, just with some more things thrown in.

    When we first arrived it was the Adoration of the Eucharist. So there were continuous chants and prayers the moment we entered the church. It was good for reflection before the Mass began, and I noticed the association of gold with the Eucharist since the Priest got a golden shawl after adoration and being given the Eucharist to return to it's chamber.

      Then the Mass began, there were the readings, one of which was from Ephesians and after the priest spoke. It was his first time speaking at Saint Joseph's Catholic Church, and he shared a story from Vietnam about a Mother who's children grew up in a poor house and were able to get out and go to College and afterwords fell out of touch with their Mom. From here he argued that it is by accepting Christ into our lives that we can become Christlike and unselfish and remember those, unlike the children who had forgotten their mother. The story reminded me of the importance of family and communication and what religion can sometimes do for people.

     The Mass was much longer than an English Mass, just like the Italian Mass I saw in Florence. I think this is true for most things. Most English Church services are very quick, not being any more than an hour. The only exceptions I can think of are the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons who are known for having longer services. I wonder what the reason is behind English language Christian Church services being so short...

    One of the things I noticed as well was how conservative it all felt. There wasn't the passion behind the parts of the Mass there is at the Newman Center and other Catholic services I have attended, and the folks who gave the Eucharist to the congregation were all older gentlemen in suits, unlike the diversity of gender and age I've witnessed in most Catholic Services in the States. 

     It was a great service and great for reflection, I do hope someday I'll be able to understand more services in other languages, as I was able to when I was in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment